Castles in Vojvodina
Castles in Vojvodina were built from the XVIII to the XX century, by wealthy farmers and Austro-Hungarian nobility. They were built far from the cities, in baroque or classic style and they were surrounded by beautiful parks and garden, necessarily with a horse farm. After the II World War was colonization and castles in Vojvodina began to lose their glory. Since then they changed owners so many times. Four castles have the status of special cultural significance, 21 castles have great cultural and historical significance, three belong to the significant cultural property, more than 20 castles were written in cultural property books. The most famous castles in Vojvodina are the Kaštel Castle in Ečka, the castle of the Dundjerski family in Čelarevo, Castle-hotel Fantast near Bečej, the Stratimirović castle and Dundjerski castle in Kulpin.
The Fantast castle is placed in the central part of Vojvodina, about 14 km from Bečej on the way to Bačka Topola, It is only 60km far from Novi Sad and 135 km from Belgrade. The entire complex covers an area of about 65 hectares and includes a castle, a small castle, a St. George chapel, stud farm of race horses and park. The Fantast castle was built from 1919 until 1923 and during its construction it has been mixed various architectural styles for example a tower and four corner towers were built in the Gothic revival style, and both entrances were made in the neoclassical style. The castle is surrounded by a low wall with two monumental gates, made of wrought iron. In the early 80s of the last century it has been adapted and transformed into a hotel Fantast. It is named after the famous and very fast stallion, who is buried on the Bogdan Dundjerski property.
The Castle of the Dundjerski family in Čelarevo consists of several buildings placed in a spacious park, organized by the principle of English gardens, at the property of the nobleman, founded in the second half of the 18th century. The smaller castle was built by Murphy Lipot at the end of the 18th and at the beginning of the 19 century and in this castle lived a nobleman Nikola Bezeredi with his family. Nikola Bezeredi decided to build a bigger castle, which is by the plans of unknown Viennese architect built between the 1834th and 1837th. Although this building was declared a castle, it used as a country house to Nikola Bezeredi, who owned houses in Vienna and Budapest too. Two castles in Kulpin, located in the park environment, were built in classic architectural style for the noble family Stratimirović. The smaller castle was built in the late 18 century and bigger one has been built in middle of 19th century. For a short time, this property was bought by Matthew Semzo from Kamjonike, but in 1889. It was sold to the Lazar Dundjerski. In a bigger castle is placed today the Agricultural Museum, a smaller one was turned into a local office and offices of various associations.
The former hunting castle Kaštel of the Count Lazar Lukač from the Erdelj, is situated in Ečka in the Municipality of Zrenjanin and turned into to a hotel, that today represents an attractive tourist attraction. The castle is actually a red house, built in 1820. It is surrounded by a large park and the old water tower that looks like a little fortress. In the park there are several monuments and the ruins of a long building that was formerly used as stables. Right next to the castle there is a Catholic church built in the 1864. Paintings on the walls of the church are showing Christ’s Passion, and are the work of Joseph Gijgnera. In this church there are also three large icons: The Christening of Christ, St. Elizabeth and Judith by the the famous Dutch painter Van der Venne.
Short URL: http://beautifulserbia.info/en/?p=551